Indian brands are taking a stand for sustainability with their commitment to zero-waste design, small-scale production, and traditional Indian practices. They prioritize ethical manufacturing, cruelty-free materials, and upcycled products. Despite growing environmental concerns and consumerism, these brands lead the way in responsible and thoughtful design processes for clothing, footwear, and accessories. With Mumbai-based ‘Doh Tak Keh‘ utilizing fabric waste,’ No Nasties‘ taking vegan clothing to the next level, and ‘Okhai‘ exclusively working with rural artisans to empower them and sustain their eco-conscious clothing, it’s clear that even small contributions can make a significant impact on sustainability.
Having an edge with its rich cultural heritage, textile history, and one of the global inspirations of art and resource for craftsmanship, India enjoys a unique position while the fashion industry is already tilting towards a more sustainable future. Indian sustainable fashion brands harness the country’s rich textile traditions and creativity for all the world to see.
What Does Sustainable and Slow Fashion in India signify?
Indian artisans, who number over 45 million and work in craft clusters throughout the country, have been essential to the success of fashion businesses worldwide. However, traditional Indian crafts have been appropriated due to globalization, resulting in mass-produced imitations that have left artisans struggling to make a living wage, especially amidst the pandemic. Nevertheless, India’s skilled labor force is one of its strengths. India is the world’s largest producer of organic cotton and boasts regenerative farming practices. A group of thoughtful designers has emerged in light of these factors, working to revive India’s ancient techniques, handwoven textiles, and hand embroidery through their slow fashion brands. These designers are committed to using natural dyes, deadstock fabrics, plant-based fibers, and eco-friendly processes that use less water and energy while empowering artisan clusters throughout the country.
Why should we consider Ethical and eco-friendly fashion brands for shopping?
Considering Indian brands for the wedding or any festive season offers several benefits:
- Indian brands proudly display the diversity and richness of India’s cultural heritage. When you choose Indian brands, you support and promote traditional craftsmanship, intricate embroidery, and indigenous textiles essential to Indian culture.
- Indian brands are renowned for their distinctive and beautiful designs. They provide a broad selection of styles, from traditional to modern, allowing you to discover and appreciate the elegance of Indian fashion.
- By choosing Indian brands, you contribute to the livelihoods of local artisans and craftsmen skilled in traditional techniques. Your purchase supports their craftsmanship, helping to preserve ancient art forms and ensuring their sustainability for future generations.
- Many Indian brands prioritize sustainable and ethical practices. They often use organic or eco-friendly fabrics, employ fair trade principles, and promote ethical labor practices. Supporting these brands contributes to a more sustainable and responsible fashion industry.
- Indian brands often offer a wide range of price points by making them accessible to a broader audience. Whether you’re looking for high-end designer wear or budget-friendly options, Indian brands can cater to various budgets without compromising quality and style.
- Weddings are an occasion to celebrate cultural identity and heritage. By opting for Indian brands, you can showcase and embrace your Indian roots, adding a touch of authenticity and uniqueness to your wedding attire.
- Indian brands offer various options, from traditional bridal wear like sarees, lehengas, and sherwanis to contemporary outfits such as fusion wear and Indo-Western ensembles. You can find designs suitable for different wedding functions, allowing you to explore and express your style.
By considering Indian brands for the wedding season, you contribute to the local economy and craftsmanship.
You can wear exquisite, culturally rich, and sustainable fashion that reflects the beauty of Indian traditions and aesthetics.
Love from Soul