Have you experienced this after hearing that your son/daughter got the job they were yearning for, your mind is now moving to the unchartered territory of how they will stay, commute and survive. The human mind is hard wired for survival and we tend to focus on the negative aspects of a situation instead of practicing an abundance mindset.
As a youngster whenever I was late in reaching home my parents would be worried about my safety, praying that I’ve not met with an accident or something worse. I always wondered how easy it was to plague oneself with misery instead of immersing ourselves in the goodness that awaits us. Finally, reality dawned through the understanding of human mind being wired for one purpose and that’s SURVIVAL.
We are wired to operate out of vulnerability, scarcity and fear. Although, we all have the choice of what to focus on, we choose to look for what can hurt us, or magnify the bad. With expectations rising, world order emerging post covid and still reeling under the threat of looming recession, we can learn to develop an abundance mindset.
What is an Abundance mindset? It is the belief that there are enough resources in the world for everyone and of being grateful for whatever universe provides. We’ve been brought up on the theory that the resources in the world are finite, so when someone gets something, that leaves less for everyone else. Stephen Covey coined the term abundance mentality or abundance mindset in his 1989 best-seller, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People which is being discussed in following paras.
Now the moot point is what kind of a thinker are you and how can you shift your entire perspective – whether the glass is half full or half empty. Many of us are not aware of the outlook we possess and have never bothered about their mindset. I’m going to share 7even signs, by recognising them you are confirmed on the path of abundance.
- Recognise the power of your thoughts – What your mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. Cultivate mindfulness and create thoughts of abundance, you shift your focus by making conscious efforts. If plagued with the question, “What do I need to do to shift my mindset to abundance?” Write them down or share them with a friend for accountability.
- Think like a beginner – It is the ability to maintain an attitude of openness with the willingness to override preconceptions. We must acknowledge that we don’t know everything and the abundance mentality is carved from growth and learning. How about learning something that forces you to learn, a new hobby, language, musical instrument, sport or a passion project.
- Examine your limiting beliefs – These are unconscious biases which prevents us from enjoying our lives to the fullest. Cultivate gratitude and observe how limiting beliefs are preventing you to reach your full potential. Our beliefs grow from our experiences, knowledge base, environment we operate in, result of our past action and how we envision our future.
- Embrace Change – Life will never go as planned and will be interrupted through undesirable surprises. In spite of knowing change is inevitable we are not ready to embrace change. The potential for transformation is present in every change life throws our way irrespective of we are embracing it or not. It doesn’t mean you are repressing your emotions or living in a state of denial. It means you are making the overarching decision to live in a beautiful state every single day, no matter what happens.
- Believe the sky is the limit – It is vital to loosen the mind’s focus and create an expanded awareness that fosters the abundance mentality. One Harvard study found that when people focus intently on one particular thing, other possibilities right in front of them go completely unnoticed – this is contracted awareness. Therefore, have the intention to clear your mind and allow new abundant possibilities to come to light.
- Celebrate success of others – An abundance mindset is the opposite of jealousy and fear. You believe that others’ successes don’t detract from your own and that you will be just as successful. You genuinely celebrate the success of others who achieve their goals.
- Live in the present – When you focus on gratitude and abundance, you’re not worried about the future or stuck in the past. You know that the only thing that’s guaranteed is the present, and you focus on taking it all in.
You can learn how to develop an abundance mindset. Remember, what’s wrong is always available, but so is what’s right. You have the choice of what to focus on so choose wisely.